Tuesday 15 November 2011

My Motion Assignment in Progress!

So I had a major set-back with this assignment. The blog that I wrote before this talked about my wondrous fool-proof idea for my motion graphics assignment. But once I started working on it I realized that it wasn’t going to be as easy as I imagined. Long story short, I had to come up with a brand new idea for this assignment and I decided I would do a 5 second teaser for Paranormal Activity.

I decided that I would use a normal video camera and have a 5 second clip of someone in a room, shining a light on the wall, saying “what was that?” or “are you in here?” and hearing a bang (representing some sort of ghost). I tried this out and found that the noise of the bang wasn’t picking up that well on the camera, and nothing about the video-when played back- seemed at all scary. Then I had this idea to do the same sort of thing and at the last second have the camera zoom in on a door knob that started shaking. I once again tried that out and when played back it just looked extremely corny.

So I sat around thinking of what I could film in 5 seconds that could somehow summarize the movie, and show something scary at the same time. So I had an idea that my friend would hold the camera while breathing heavily, and move the camera from one side of the hall to the next. When the camera was on one of the bedroom doors it would show that there was no one in front of the door, then the camera would pan to the bedroom, then back to the door where a person would appear. After that the camera would drop or dangle to create a sense of disorientation then the title would flash on the screen. I’m going to hand write the text in red so it has a creepy and personal feel. I may even have it appear as though a child wrote it for that extra erie affect.

I tried to post some of my video footage on the blog but unfortunately wasn’t able to. I then tried to create pictures out of my video but once again was not able to so it will be a surprise when you see it on Tuesday! I still have lots of editing to do but I hope it will all come together as I planned. What I learned from this assignment was that my first idea won’t always work. The original idea that I had came to me instantly and I was sure that it was going to work. Instead of coming up with backup ideas just in case it didn’t work out, I focused all my time on this idea and ended up wasting a couple weeks that could have gone towards a better idea.

I hope to get it all done and I'm excited to see what the final product will look like!

No comments:

Post a Comment